"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Times Profiles A. Thomas McLellan

The New York Times profiles A. Thomas McLellan, who became deputy director of the Office on National Drug Control Policy in August.

McLellan was professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on addiction when he was asked by vice president Joe Biden to join the government. For McLellan, the issues are not just professional. His youngest son died at age 30 last year from an overdose; his older son has been in residential treatment and his wife is a recovering cocaine addict.

"I thought it was some kind of sign, you know," McLellan told The TImes. "I would never have done it. I loved all the people I've worked with, I loved my life. But I thought maybe there's a way where what I know plus what I feel could make a difference."

More of the story here.

0 comments: